Bang Pa-In Palace, Thailand

bang pa in palace, thailand
bang pa in palace, thailand
1600x1200
 
bang pa in palace, thailand
1024x768
 
bang pa in palace, thailand
200x150

 

Bang Pa-In Palace

 

Built during the rule of King Prasat Thong (from 1629 to 1656), Bang Pa-In Palace was revived by

Chakri King, Rama IV (from 1851 to 1868). Today’s royal palace is from the period of the rule of King Chulalongkorn (from 1868 to 1919) during which era a great number of buildings were built within the period of 1872 to 1889.

The Bang Pa-In Royal Palace’s history dates back to the seventeenth century. In the Ayutthaya chronicles it is written than King Prasat Thong had the palace built in the river of Chao Phraya on island of Bang Pa-In.

Wat Chumphon Nikayaram was the monastery founded by King Prasat which was built on Bang Pa-In Island on land which belonged to his mother. He then had a palace built on a pond which was dug up

just south of the Nikayaram Monastery.

With the reign of King Mongkut (Rama IV), the Bang Pa-In Royal Palace was revived. Mongkut had a temporary residence built on the outer part of Bang Pa-In Island which became the Wat Niwet Thamprawat, a the Neo-Gothic style monastery which was constructed by Rama V (King Chulalongkorn) who was his son and heir.

The Bang Pa-In Royal Palace is used occasionally today by their Majesties Rama IX (King Bhumibol Adulyadej) and his wife, Queen Sirikit, for holding banquets and receptions and sometimes as a residence.