Hwaseong Fortress, South Korea
at the time of the Joseon Dynasty (from 1392
to 1910), the Hwaseong fortress was built by
King Chungjo who wanted to construct at the
Paldal-san base a new capital near where the
his father is located in Hwa-san.
The plan for the fortress was designed by
Dasan Chong Yag-young. Because its shape
looked like a spring willow leaf, the
fortress was called Yukyoung, literally
“willow leaf city”.
Costs of construction amounted to eight
hundred thousand ryang of gold and needed
over seven hundred thousand workers almost
two years to finish making it from the
period of 1794 to 1796.
During the colonial period of the Japanese
(from 1910 to 1945) and the Korean War (from
1953), Hwaseong Fortress underwent
serious structural damage and several areas
The government of Korean spent
over thirty two billion won in 1975-79 to
restore fortress to its former glory.
The grounds surrounding Hwaseong Fortress is
maintained carefully by the State.
Volunteers dressed in period costume can be
seen all around the fortress, re-enacting
roles of protectors and guards of the
fortress. UNESCO selected the Hwaseong in
1997 as a World Cultural Heritage site
because of its distinction as a highly
technical and scientific early military